Did you know...
According to Fox News, South Dakota is one of the TOP TEN places in the world to bicycle? Check out the story here!
Tourism, Recreation & Links
The Black Hills are a gold mine (pun intended) of activities and fun! Take a look at our Top Tourist Picks, Recreation & Nature, and Helpful Links to help you plan your vacation!
- Crazy Horse Memorial - The world's largest mountain carving and important memorial to North American Indian culture. Crazy Horse Memorial has inspired millions of visitor and will continue to inspire for years to come. If you see just one tourist site in the Black Hills, see Crazy Horse.
- Mount Rushmore - Originally designed to promote tourism in the region, Mount Rushmore has achieved this goal - ten fold - and is the number one tourist attraction in the state.
- Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway - This drive is one of the top 10 Most Outstanding Byways in America and features spectacular Black Hills scenery including: The Needles Highway (SD 87), Iron Mountain Road (US 16A), Horse Thief Lake Road (SD 244) and Sylvan Lake Road (SD 89). A truly stunning and memorable drive.
- Deadwood - The entire city of Deadwood is a historic landmark and absolutely worth the visit! Click "Deadwood" to view links. This little wild west town is a treasure trove of history. Visit Mount Moriah Cemetery, take a wild west photo with your family, and do not miss the Days of 76 Museum.
- Badlands National Park - With 65 million years of history, the Badlands National Park is rich in fossils, and is home to the country's largest grasslands (Buffalo Gap National Grasslands). It looks like the moon, the sunrises are spectacular, and the bison roam free - and Wall Drug is just a hop skip and a jump away!
- Devils Tower - rises like a giant monolith above the surrounding forest. For thousands of years,Northern Plains tribes have found this a spiritual place. Legends abound. Fur trappers, explorers, and settlers looked on in wonder at the tower's majesty as we still do today. Devils Tower was our nation's first national monument established by Teddy Roosevelt in 1906. Many have asked, "How did this amazing formation come to be?" There are just as many answers.This is a good day trip excursion. Pack a picnic and make a day of it!
- Sturgis - A gateway community located between Spearfish and Rapid City, South Dakota. Best known for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, and also featuring Black Hills National Cemetery, Bear Butte State Park, Fort Meade Cavalry Museum, Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame and Beautiful Wonderland Cave. Scenic drives and access to Black Hills National Forest and trail system.
- Hill City - A historic town seated in the heart of the Black Hills of western South Dakota. It's central location in this beautiful and majestic pine-covered range of rolling mountain terrain is what earned our community its nickname: "The Heart of the Hills"
- Keystone - Keystone is the home of Mount Rushmore and a visitor magnet in its own right. Located two miles from the monument, it features dozens of shopping boutiques, restaurants and treats, and family fun attractions.
- Printable Trail Maps - Printable Forest Service trail maps (hiking, biking, horse back riding, snow shoeing, snow mobiling etc.). Maps also available at Rim Rock Lodge, just ask!
- Spearfish Canyon - A truly special and picturesque canyon, naturalists and motorcyclists alike love the beautiful scenery of Spearfish Canyon. Waterfalls, trout fishing, hiking, a wide and curving road - Spearfish is one of the country's best kept secrets.
- George S. Mickelson Trail - All trails begin here! 109 miles of trails makes this trail system your one stop for hiking, biking, cross country skiing, horseback riding, snow shoeing, and snow mobiling! Click here for printable map.
- Spearfish Recreation Center & Waterpark - Work out in brand new gym, or take an inner tube down one of the waterslides, the Rec Center is a great place to cool down after a day of exploring. Located in downtown Spearfish and just 10 minutes from Rim Rock Lodge.
- Horseback riding - Andy's Trail Rides are - hands down and by far - the best trail rides in the region. Located on Deer Mountain, it is a short drive from Rim Rock Lodge on the highway 14A loop. His horses are well-trained and well-loved and the photo opportunities are endless. Tell Andy that we sent you!
- Fishing - Spearfish Creek is a certified Blue Ribbon trout stream, so you won't have to travel far to find some great fishing. Fishing guide books available at the front desk. For fishing licensing information, click here. For guided fly fishing trips, click here.
- Hiking - From Harney Peak to Little Spearfish trails, you have plenty of worthwhile hikes and local beauty closeby. This link takes you to the Forest Service site where you may print off hiking maps and view Forest Service trails. Also, check out the Mickelson Trail for more trail maps!
- Rushmore Mountain Sports - Whether you cycle through Spearfish Canyon or venture off road, the Black Hills are a cyclist's dream! Endless trails and beautiful scenery! Follow the link and click on the tabs for for mountain and road bike trail maps - or just ask us! Local bicycle rentals: Rushmore Mountain Sports and Deadwood Bicycles.
- Elite Services, LLC - Elite Services offers a range of services for families and professionals, such as shopping, event assistance, concierge services, house sitting, finances and office assistance. For a low hourly fee we can help you get it done! “We have worked with Elite Services for many years. Sabrina and her company consistently provide trusted, high quality, and exceptional service."
- The Junk Drawer and Naked Olive - Funky refinished furniture and vintage home decor. Wide variety of freshly bottled olive oils and balsamic vinegars. “We love the Junk Drawer — always something new and unique. Several pieces of furniture in the Birch and Spruce cabins are from this cool eclectic store”
- Northern Hills Woodworks - Specializing in custom woodworking, finish carpentry, mantels, boult-ins, freestanding cabinetry and much more. “Ryan Haivala is an incredibly talented artist and craftsman."
- RC Construction - Custom builder specializing in new builds, renovations and remodels. Builder, Rick Clark located at 1545 Maitland Road, Spearfish, SD. Contact phone: 605-642-8062 “Thanks to Rick Clark and RC Construction, Rim Rock Lodge was given new life! He was instrumental in helping us save this very special and historic property."
- AcV2 Architecture - A collaborative design practice specializing in adaptively reusing and renovating buildings [commercial and residential] and creating infill solutions that catalyze smart growth and renewal. "Patri Acevedo-Riker, John Riker and AcV2 Architecture grasped our vision of the new Rim Rock Lodge and made it a reality. They were critical to our goal of preserving and revitalizing the property."